Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Hate Church: Update

The bad news: The Supreme Courts has ruled that Westboro Baptist Church wasn't infringing on the rights of a grieving dad when they picketed his son's funeral.  Justice Alito dissented, saying Westboro's behavior goes beyond the pale and shouldn't be tolerated.  I don't know that I agree with him.

Should WBC's speech be protected?  I hate to say it, but yes.  I will fight to the death to defend their right to say whatever hateful, bile-raising venom they have to spew.  They're citizens, they have opinions, they have the right to voice those opinions.  They're a "religious" organization and the government doesn't get into the business of religion.

That's Al-Qaeda's job.

Come to think of it, Al-Qaeda can have the WBC, too.  They have a lot in common.

But in the meantime, here's the GOOD news: as of 11:03 eastern time, the Westboro Baptist Church's website is still offline.  Woohoo!  Free speech for WBC is fine by me - I can't hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment