Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Another reason to love Scandinavia in general and Sweden in particular

They're my number two source of traffic.

Obviously my number one source is the US, and no big surprise why: my blog is hosted by an American company, written in American English and mostly talks about American subjects.

Except when it doesn't.  I think I've already mentioned the American Swedish Institute in St. Paul MN, and my irrational love for Volvos and Saabs.  I have a copy of a popular American Swedish cookbook on my shelf right behind me (turns to check), yes, there it is.

And I am also Swedish.  I think I should learn some languages: I already do pretty well speaking and writing in English and can fumble my way in French, probably considerably better than a typical American would.  I was downright startled one day on vacation, many years ago, when I heard my Dad and one of his brothers singing a Finnish lullaby.  That was bizarre.  I hadn't ever heard Dad speak a word of anything other than English in my life up to that point.

I have found many videos on YouTube that will show you some of the baser rudiments of assorted languages, including Finnish.  The Finnish one is especially interesting because the woman doing the demonstration is, frankly, gorgeous.  But I digress.

No comments:

Post a Comment